Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them . . . is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built (Luke 6:47-48).
As a Believer, the Word of God is a crucial part of your foundation. It is important fuel to generate His power within your life.
God gives us many wonderful promises about the power of reading, studying, meditating on, and obeying His Word. Here are some examples of how these practices can affect your life:
- Nourishment:The Bible is food that nourishes our spiritual life. Hebrews 5:12-14 describes the teachings of God’s Word as both milk and solid food – both providing the spiritual nutrients we need in order to grow.
- Cleansing:God’s Word renews our minds and cleanses our hearts (Romans 12:2; Ephesians 5:26).
- Guidance:God’s Word shines a light on our pathway and shows us the right way to journey. David said in Psalm 119:105, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
- Strength and Security:God’s Word gives us strength to overcome the trials, tests, and difficult circumstances that come our way. Jesus tells us:
- Fruitfulness:God promises success and spiritual fruitfulness to those who meditate on His Word and obey it (Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:1-3).
- Victory:God’s Word alerts us to Satan’s schemes, and it serves as a two-edged sword to defeat him (2 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12).
God’s Word is so powerful that when the devil came in the wilderness to tempt Jesus, it was the Word of God that Jesus used to overcome the attack. Jesus said to him, “It is written . . . It is written . . . .It is written!” (Matthew 4:1-11).